Thursday, June 9, 2011

Five Question Friday- 6/9/2011

Hellooooo, Friday! I'm really looking forward to this weekend because we actually have plans. Tonight we have our monthly play date night with our good friends and their son, which include a BBQ dinner and a trip to the splash pad (pictures to come). It's always a good night when the Roberts' family is involved (Hi guys!).

Tomorrow, Andy is kicking us out of the house so that he can replace all of our outlets. I know that sounds like a weird, random project, but our current ones are loose and plugs just fall right out. Including outlet safety covers. That's no good.


Please hold for an ADD moment. Feel free to skip to end of this ramble.

When Andy and I bought this house several years ago, we were extremely confused by some of the problems we encountered. They made us wonder what the old owners were doing to cause these weird problems.

  1. All of the closets were completely scuffed up. I'm not talking about some scratches. I'm talking they looked like they had been beaten with chains. What in the world? Andy and I joked that they must have only worn cleats or steel-toed boots and spent weekends kicking their shoes off into the closets.
  2. The outlet "holes" (sockets?) were loose. Really loose. Maybe all of their plugs weighed 500 pounds. Speaking of heavy objects...
  3. All of the toilet paper holders, towel racks, etc. were in place with these. A toggle bolt is made to hold objects up to 300 pounds. Most of these fixtures took four anchors. So we're talking 1,200 pounds. Now, I don't know what type of toilet paper they were using, but it couldn't have been easy on the backside. Maybe after they beat the hell out of their closets, they did chin-ups on the towel racks. Needless to say, many of the old fixtures are still in place.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

So Andy's going to work on the outlets and off to my parent's house I go with my girls. The best part? I'm staying for dinner which means no cooking for me for a second night in a row. Whoo hoo!

I know you are in awe of my exciting plans, but what can I say? I'm a party animal.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, it's time for Five Question Friday. I'm linking up with Mama M. and you should too. It's tons of fun.

1. How close to your childhood dreams is your life now?

Pretty darn close. I always knew that I wanted to be a teacher, get married, and have kids. The only thing I didn't accomplish is being a princess. But hey, three out of four ain't bad! And there's still time, right? ;)

2. What is one must have item for the summer?

Flip flops. Although, I can't really say that this is a summer only item. I've been known to sport my flip flops on unseasonably warm winter/fall/spring days. Forget the old notion that open toed shoes aren't fashionably acceptable after Labor Day. I'm a fashion rebel. My feet anxiously await warmer weather so that they can bust out of shoes. I live in flip flops.

3. Do you have your kids stay up on school stuff during summer vacation? (Or, if you don't have kiddos, did your parents make you keep up on school stuff during summer?)

My kids aren't in school yet, but I most definitely will. I'm a teacher and I know that the saying "If you don't use it, you'll lose it" is completely accurate. I can always spot the kiddos that kept their brains working during the summer because their transition from summer to school is smooth sailing. I always hear "It's summer. They need a break." Sure, we all do. I'm not talking about reading War and Peace and completing 100 worksheets each day. Reading something every day, practicing math facts, etc. is all that is needed. **Steps off soapbox**

4. Do you can or freeze fresh produce?

I wish I did. I also wish that we had a garden or an amazing Farmer's Market to get said produce. But alas, we do not.

5. Do you get ready for the day first thing in the morning?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh, this is a serious question.

No, I don't. On some days I'm lucky if I'm able to get ready for the day before 2:00. I usually drag myself out of bed when Emma wakes up, which ranges between 5:30-6:30. After that, my morning consists of getting her breakfast, cleaning up breakfast, then Sophia wakes up, I feed her....I think you see where this is going.

Later on in the day is when I'm able to get ready. It's all a matter of when/if someone decides to nap and how quickly I can do what I need to do before someone cries. Or getting in as much as I can regardless of crying, but before they begin the "ugly cry." If I need to be somewhere that day, I need to get up and get ready before my hubby leaves for work at 6:15. I don't like
that at all.

0 sweet somethings said: