Monday, November 28, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Chicken Enchilada Pasta

Go ahead and plan on making this immediately.  You can thank me for introducing you to this delicious dish later.  I found this recipe on Pinterest from one of my favorite blogs, Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour. Cara Carroll is my go-to girl for teaching, cooking, decorating...she's pretty much awesome, as is this recipe.

I made this for some friends and was a little nervous about the spiciness, and even though it did have a major kick, it was so tasty I just chugged some water and continued to shovel.  This time around, I adapted it to suit my our tastes, so this version is a little more mild than the original version (which you can find here). 

Chicken Enchilada Pasta
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used one whole rotisserie chicken)
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 (4 oz) can diced chilies, not drained
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. chili powder
cumin
1 (10 oz) can green chili enchilada sauce
2/3 cups red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cheese (I used colby and Monterrey Jack)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 box Penne pasta

Optional Toppings
sour cream, diced tomatoes, black olives, cilantro, avocado, green onions

The recipe calls for two can of green sauce, but I accidentally only bought one.  I substituted with 1/2 can of tomato sauce and it came out just as good this time around.

Cook and shred your chicken (or shred your rotisserie chicken).  Meanwhile, begin to boil a pot of water to cook your pasta. Cook the pasta according to the package and chop the onions and garlic.  Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook the onions until soft, about 3-5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Add the chilies, enchilada sauces, spices, and chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes.  Add the cheese and stir until melted.

On low heat, add the sour cream and stir to combine. Do not bring to a boil or the sour cream will curdle.  Continue to stir until the sour cream is completely mixed in and heated through.  Drain your pasta and add it back into the pot.  Pour the chicken mixture over the pasta and mix well.

Garnish with toppings of your choice and devour. Yum, yum, yum! 
 Reviews from the Peanut Gallery

Me: 5 out of 5 stars.  This had just the right amount of heat for a sissy like me.  It has great flavor and is a simple dish to throw together on a busy weeknight. It's a nice alternative to our weekly taco or spaghetti nights. 

Andy: 5 out of 5 stars. He would have preferred a little more spice, but his stomach thanked me in the end.  He liked that I used less pasta this time around, resulting in a creamier pasta.  He has requested that this become a regular item on our menu.


Emma: She tried it and said it was good, but reached for her water right after her first bite.  Maybe it was a coincidence or she sadly inherited her mama's wimpy taste buds. 

0 sweet somethings said: