Sunday, November 4, 2012

Chicago Day 2- Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum

Our second day in Chicago was a cold and busy one. It rained for most of the day, but we didn't let it slow us down. We started our day with a yummy breakfast at the hotel, then set off for a bus tour around the city. The tour was really great and we learned a lot about the history of the city from our tour guide. We braved the top level of the double decker bus, even in the cold and periodic rain. Thank goodness for warm jackets, because we got some great views of the city!

When we got to the Shedd Aquarium, I just about died, because the line was about a quarter mile long. No joke. Thankfully, we had a Go Chicago pass, which made our wait about 30 minutes. If you ever plan on going to Chicago, please get a pass. It is so worth it!

The aquarium was great, but my homesickness started to hit, because I knew the girls would have loved it there. There was so much to do for little ones, even a little Arctic Play Zone, where they could pretend to be penguins. There were families everywhere and I kept seeing my girls all over. I kept it under control though when I thought of the lines the kids would have had to endure. Whew!

We didn't get to see a dolphin show, but I was able to get a sweet video of a mama dolphin and her baby.

After we left the aquarium, we walked over to The Field Museum. Our first sight was of Sue, the world's largest T-Rex. Emma loves dinosaurs and I was excited to get pictures to show her.

This is Sue's real head, which is too heavy to sit on top of the rest of her body.

Andy and I both loved the mummy exhibit, but I don't have any pictures to share because I was too involved with looking and completely forgot!  I'm not sure if I was allowed to take pictures anyway. There were a lot of interesting artifacts in that exhibit!

After touring, we caught a cab back to our hotel, where we rested up and talked to the girls. We were planning on having pizza that night and the restaurant was just a block up the street. It was still raining, but it wasn't worth a cab. It is so funny to me that here at home, I will drive my car from one end of a strip mall to the other in nice weather, instead of walking, but I think nothing of walking in the rain in the city because it's the easiest, and fastest, option.

Dinner that night was at Gino's East, for some famous, deep dish Chicago pizza. The line to get seated was out the door and around the corner, which, apparently, was the norm. We waited for about 35 minutes to get seated and then another 40 minutes for the pizza to cook. But it was SO worth it! Yum!

After a very long day, we headed home and got a good night's rest for the next day, which would be our last. Stay tuned!

0 sweet somethings said: