Monday, January 2, 2012

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Chicken Tamale Casserole

Ah, tamales.  I grew up eating them, but they were something special we only enjoyed at Christmas.  Have you ever made tamales? Like, whoa. It's a huge undertaking.

So when I saw this recipe for tamale casserole, I was pretty intrigued.  I have never had tamale pie or casserole, but after checking the ingredients, I decided it couldn't be bad and thought I'd give it a whirl.

I'm so glad I did.  This was GOOD. Plus, it's from Cooking Light, so bonus points for being "healthy!"

Chicken Tamale Casserole
recipe adapted from Cooking Light

1 cup Mexican blend cheese, divided
1/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used regular black pepper)
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
1 box corn muffin mix
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
cooking spray
1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next seven ingredients (through chilies) in a large bowl, stirring until just moist.  Pour mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until set.  Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork.  Your kitchen is probably smelling pretty good right now.


Pour enchilada sauce over top, then top with chicken.  Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake for 15 more minutes. 

Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.  Top with sour cream.

Reviews From the Peanut Gallery

Me: 5 out of 5 stars! Love this! I wouldn't say that it tasted like a real tamale, but man, was it good.  I used Jiffy cornbread mix, which was a little sweeter.  I'm going to try the recommended Martha White brand next time.


Andy: 5 out of 5 stars. Definitely a keeper.  He'd like it a little spicier (poor guy is married to a wimp), especially with the sweeter cornbread. He wants me to make just the cornbread mixture just like this the next time we have chili.

1 sweet somethings said:

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

Yum! That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try this recipe!