Thursday, March 3, 2011

We're Hanging in There!

I know it's been a while since I've updated, but we're just starting to see through the newborn fog. Sophia is doing great, but when I have a few minutes, blogging tends to take a backseat to sleeping. So let me catch you up on what has been going on:

Sophia is three weeks old and is growing like a champ. At a check up last week, she weighed 8 pounds 13 ounces. I assume that she's passed 9 pounds by now because this kid is an eater. I can tell when she's going through a growth spurt because she wants to eat ALL the time. Whew! She has her one month checkup (!) next week so we'll get all the nitty-gritty details about her weight, length, percentiles, etc. She is holding her head up really well, and even rolled over! I'm pretty sure it was an accident, but she likes to roll up onto her side as soon as I set her down. Her favorite pastime is staring at the ceiling fan or looking around for her big sister.Just about to roll over!

She has started to fall into somewhat of a schedule. I say this tentatively, because I don't want to jinx anything. She has presented us with a little bit more of a challenge, because she tends to want to stay awake after eating, unlike Emma, who used to fall asleep while eating. She's been getting through the night with only one feeding, which is great, and waking up for the day around 5:00. Today, she slept until 6:00, which would have been wonderful...except Emma woke up at 5:30. Sigh.

Speaking of Emma, she is still the best big sister in the world and will drop everything and anything to help with Sophia. Aside from the occasional tantrum over wanting to play with the baby's toys, she is handling this huge change in her life exactly as I knew she would; with a smile and a maturity beyond her years. God definitely blessed us when He gave us that one. We always laugh at how calmly she reacts to one of Sophia's full-blown colic meltdowns. She seems to have a switch that tunes it all out...a switch that I would pay any amount of money for, I might add. My dad jokes that she's going to be a bomb diffuser.
She is still enrolled in Little Gym, which she looks forward to each week. We're thankful that we can provide her with this special time for herself. I'm looking forward to clearance from my doctor that I can start lifting again so that I can participate rather than just spectate.Hopefully, as we begin to establish our routine, I'll have more time for updates, even if it's just a quick picture here and there. Thanks for stopping by to check on us!

1 sweet somethings said: