Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- A Day Late and a Dollar Short

I know I'm late with this week's recipe.  I caught the crud this weekend and did NOT feel like cooking a thing.  Today, I felt better and this White Chicken Chili was just what I needed.  I am SO ready for fall, and this totally hit the spot.  I got this recipe from my mother in law, and it's one of my favorites.  Andy really loves regular chili, but I'm not really a fan.  This recipe is a happy (and healthier!) medium.

What you'll need: cooked chicken, white beans (I used Great Northern Beans), chicken broth, garlic salt, diced green chilies, onion, cumin, cayenne, and cilantro, which you need to imagine is sitting on my counter. ;) 


 Just a little side note: I never cook chicken for recipes like this anymore.  It is cheaper and easier to buy a rotisserie chicken.  It's already cooked and about $3-$4 cheaper. I'm up for anything that makes my life easier!
Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil.  Add onions and garlic salt.  Cook until the onion is soft. 
Add the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.  I made mine the night before and let it refrigerate overnight.  It makes the flavor even better.

That's it folks!  I love recipes like this.  It's filling, delicious, and easy-peasy.   I top mine with cheese, chopped cilantro, and Baked Scoops tortilla chips.

 Reviews from the Peanut Gallery
Me: 5 out of 5 stars.  Yum.  So good. Love it.  That is all.


Andy: 5 out of 5 stars.  Delicious.


Emma: She's not feeling well and she wasn't feeling it.  She ate about 5 bites, but this is the face she gave during most of the dinner. I was pretty pleased that she ate what she did!
White Chicken Chili

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 lbs cooked chicken (I used one rotisserie chicken)
3 (15 oz) cans white beans; drained and rinsed
2 cups chicken broth*
4 ounce can green chilies
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 medium onions; chopped (I only used one onion for my onion-phobic family)
1 tablespoon cilantro; chopped
*1 can of chicken broth is just shy of 2 cups.  I only use one can and don't drain my chilies to make up the missing liquid.

Heat oil in a Dutch oven.  Add onions and garlic salt.  Cook until the onions are soft.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.  Simmer for 20 minutes.  
Toppings: grated cheese, sour cream, Fritos, tortilla chips

0 sweet somethings said: