Monday, September 5, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Breakfast Cupcakes

We have pancakes every weekend.  It's become something of a tradition, and the crew comes down the stairs every Saturday to see what new pancakes I've tried.  When I saw this recipe on one of my favorite children's food websites, I knew I had to try them.  

The blogger from weelicious.com made peanut butter pancakes and wanted to experiment with the leftover batter.  She came up with these Peanut Butter Breakfast Cupcakes with Jelly Frosting.


 Cupcakes for breakfast?  Count me in.

Here's what you will need: flour, baking powder, peanut butter, egg, sugar, and salt.  Just pretend you see the salt in this lineup.

In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, sugar, and egg.  Whisk until blended.  Slowly add the milk until just incorporated.

Take the "peanut butter milk" and add it to the dry ingredients that I'm sure you have already mixed and taken a picture of, unlike me.  Whisk until just blended.

Fill your muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 350. The directions said that the mini muffins would take 20 minutes, but my oven must run hot, because mine were done at the times shown.  Tip: spray your muffin liners with cooking spray prior to filling them.  They stuck pretty badly and we resorted to chewing on the paper liners. 
Allow them to cool completely and then frost them.  For the jelly frosting, you will need to whisk 1/2 cup of cream cheese and 1/4 cup of jelly until light and fluffy.

I upped the ante and frosted mine with Nutella. ;)
 Reviews from the Peanut Gallery


Me: 3 out of 5 stars for the ones frosted with jelly frosting, and 4 out of 5 stars for the Nutella ones. They were good, but I found the mini cupcakes to be a bit on the dry side.  The regular sized ones were good. I think I would like these as just plain pancakes.

Andy: 5 out of 5 stars.  He liked both "frostings" and thought the jelly ones tasted just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Emma: She thought it was her birthday or that I was possibly high when I presented her with a cupcake for breakfast.  Either way, she scarfed four mini cupcakes down as quickly as possible before I changed my mind.

The only one that did not like these was Sophia.  She was not happy that she could not participate in the taste test.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Jelly Frosting
Recipe from weelicious.com

1 1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 cups milk

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk peanut butter, egg, and sugar until combined, then whisk in the milk until incorporated. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.  Line mini-muffin tins and fill 2/3 of the way full.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Frost when cool.

Jelly Frosting
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/4 cup jelly

Whisk until well combined and fluffy.

0 sweet somethings said: