Monday, September 26, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Tortellini & Zucchini Soup

My friend Misty shared this recipe and I knew I needed to try it!  I'm a big soup fan and I love that this soup was light, full of vegetables, but still filling enough to be satisfying.

I bought all of the stuff to make it for our dinner this weekend, but then decided to make it for my sister, who just got back out of the hospital for what was (thankfully) a very short stay.  It was a dish that I could make and let them heat up whenever they wanted it.  It was really easy to throw together, which, as you know, is my driving force when deciding what to put on my menu rotation. ;)

Here's what you will need: chicken broth, onion, garlic, zucchini, carrots, tomato, rosemary, and packaged tortellini.  The recipe called for spinach and cheese, but all I found was mixed cheese.  It really could be any kind.

In a Dutch oven, or heavy stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat.  Dice your onion and carrots and add them to the pot.  Saute until the onions are tender and slightly browned, about 6-7 minutes.  Mince your garlic and rosemary and add them to the pot.  Saute for only a minute or so. Now, the recipe doesn't call for additional seasoning, but I always season each step as I go.  It makes sense to me, but since I've been known to be a little kooky, you do whatever you want. I seasoned the onions and carrots with a little sea salt and cracked black pepper.


Add the diced zucchini; again, season enough for just the zucchini.  Add the rest of your ingredients to the pot, taste, and adjust your seasonings accordingly.  I didn't add any more salt and pepper, but if you use the low sodium broth, you may need to.  If you like to spice things up, add some red pepper flakes.  My sister's a sissy like me, so I left it as is.

I packed it up to take it over at this step, but from here, you would bring the soup to a boil and let it simmer until the tortellini is tender and the tomato begins to break down, about 8-10 minutes.  I quickly tasted the broth to test the seasonings, and it was YUMMY!  I'm definitely going to have to try this again.
There are no reviews from the Peanut Gallery, but the recipients loved it!  My sister thinks it would have been better with meat, but sometimes you need a meatless meal, in my opinion.  I sent it over with some crusty bread to complete the meal.

Thanks for the recipe Misty!

Tortellini & Zucchini Soup
Recipe adapted from Shine

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large carrots, finely chopped
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
2 medium zucchini, diced
9 ounces (about 2 cups) fresh or frozen tortellini (preferable spinach & cheese)
4 plum tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar (I didn't use this)

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.  Add carrots and onion; season with salt and pepper.  Stir, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and just beginning to brown, about 6-7 minutes.  Stir in garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 1 minute. 

Stir in zucchini; season with salt and pepper.  Cook for just a couple of minutes.  Add in the broth, tomatoes, and tortellini.  Adjust seasonings according to taste.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer until the tortellini are plump and the tomatoes are beginning to break down, 8-10 minutes.  (If adding) Stir vinegar into the hot soup just before serving. 

0 sweet somethings said: