Monday, August 29, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Italian Meatloaf

Fall is coming.  I can smell it.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I'm ready for fires, pumpkins, and crisp air.  Thinking of fall makes me want comfort foods like mashed potatoes, baked apples, and meatloaf.

Are you a meatloaf fan?  So many people aren't.  But you should be.  Especially of this particular recipe.  I found it in one of my Kraft magazines. It has an Italian twist, which makes it taste like one big, cheesy meatball.  It's moist and flavorful, so it would be a good one to try if you have some non-meatloaf eaters in your house.

What you'll need: mozzarella cheese, spaghetti sauce, Stove Top, diced tomatoes, eggs, garlic, and ground beef.

In a medium bowl, add your ground beef and all ingredients, minus 1/4 cup of the cheese and spaghetti sauce.  Get your hands good and gross.  It's all part of the meatloaf experience.  The original recipe didn't ask for additional seasonings, but I added salt, pepper, and a bit of oregano (I'm glad I did).
Shape the mixture into a loaf shape and place it in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 50 minutes at 375 degrees.
Top with the remaining spaghetti sauce and cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes.



Reviews From the Peanut Gallery
Me: 4 1/2 stars.  I loved the idea of using Stove Top as the binder.  I loved putting a new spin on an old favorite.  The cheese in the meatloaf kept it really moist.  I will definitely be making this again.

Andy: 5 out of 5 stars. Absolutely delicious.

Emma: Emma does NOT eat hamburger meat--I think it's a texture thing. I was ready for her to ignore it on her plate as she usually does, but I was pleasantly surprised with her review. Maybe using Daddy's fork made it taste better.


Italian Meatloaf
Original recipes from Kraft Foods

2 lb. lean ground beef
1 pkg.  (6 oz.) Stove Top, chicken flavor
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained  
4 cloves  garlic, minced  
2 eggs, beaten  
1 cup  spaghetti sauce, divided  
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1 tsp. oregano
salt and pepper 


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix all ingredients except 1/4 cup each spaghetti sauce and cheese.  Shape into a loaf in 13x9 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake 1 hour, topping with remaining sauce and cheese after 50 min. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. 

1 sweet somethings said:

Amber said... Best Blogger Tips

Mmm...I look forward to trying this one, too. Thanks for sharing!