Sunday, June 5, 2011

Recipe- Chicken Zucchini Burgers

A couple of months ago, I began doing Weight Watchers again to help me lose my baby weight, as well as to just start eating healthier. I love Weight Watchers. I know some people don't like calculating point values, etc., but it seriously takes a week or two to memorize most of the food in your house, and after that, it's a breeze. I loved doing it the first time and had great results until I got pregnant with Sophia.

Andy also likes it because he inadvertently eats better, resulting in a smaller waistline for him too! My biggest challenge is finding recipes that we all love; A hubby that doesn't like vegetables, a toddler that doesn't like anything, and a mom that loves good (but bad for you) food.

Occasionally, I'll post some of our recipe "keepers." If it pleases my picky family, than your normal family should love it too. I'll always post where I got the recipe, but I usually change it to fit our needs, which is the recipe I'll post. If you try it yourself, let me know what you think!

_____________________________________________

I love these burgers because they taste great and sneak in some veggies, which is always a plus. The zucchini adds moisture and good flavor to these, as well as stretching out your amount of meat, allowing you to have thicker burgers.

If you're doing Weight Watchers, the burger is only four Points+. Add in a 1 Point bun, top with some veggies, and you've got yourself a 5 Points+ burger. This recipe makes pretty large patties, so one will be more than enough (you can also make 5 smaller patties at 3 Points a serving). We had ours with sweet potato fries and fruit and it was a hit all around.


Chicken Zucchini Burgers
recipe adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes' Turkey Burgers

1 pound ground chicken breast
1 small zucchini, grated
1 T onion, grated or minced
1 garlic clove, grated or minced
slightly less than 1/4 C whole wheat bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients, except the seasoning. Divide the mixture into four parts and form into equal sized patties. The mixture will be sticky, so you may want to work on small sheets of wax paper. Season the patties with salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet to high heat. Once the pan is hot, spray with cooking spray. Add the patties to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Sear until golden brown and then flip. Once the other side is browned, continue to flip to prevent burning and to ensure that they are cooked through.

1 sweet somethings said:

Amber said... Best Blogger Tips

Finally tried it...delicious!