Monday, October 17, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Chicken Tortilla Soup

I have been such a horrible blogger.  We have actually been busy doing fun things and there's lots to talk about, but I've been REALLY trying to live the moments as opposed to documenting them with pictures.  Even though I know it's important to capture them, I know it's even more important to completely be there with my kiddos.

I wish I could dazzle you with articulate, thought-provoking blog entries, but I'm a realist.  I know you're here to see some cute kids.  So I haven't felt like there was much to show you lately.

That being said, we're ALWAYS eating, so Mmm, Mmm Monday continues.  This recipe is seriously my go-to recipe.  It is the fastest, easiest recipe and it is super scrumptious.  There are a million recipes out there for Chicken Tortilla Soup, but this is my little version that was designed to be quick.  It could really be called "Dump Soup" because all you do is dump a bunch of stuff into a pot, but that doesn't sound quite as appetizing.  I always make mine the night before and let it sit overnight to enhance the flavor, but it's still good when made the day of.

Chicken Tortilla Soup
1 rotisserie chicken; shredded (or 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast)
1 can corn; drained
1 can black beans; rinsed and drained
1 jar (15.5 ounces) chunky salsa
1/2 teaspoon garlic; minced
1/2 cup onion; chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cans chicken broth
2 tablespoons cilantro; chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Toppings: tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream

Here's the lineup.  I'm a sissy so I used mild salsa, but if you're into spicy stuff, go for the hotter versions.

Chop up your onions, garlic and cilantro.  Toss it in the pot.

Squeeze in your lime juice.

Shred your chicken and add it to your pot.

Drain and rinse your beans, then drain your corn.  Dump them in too.

Pour in the jar of salsa.  Quick tip: Once the jar is empty, you'll still have lots of salsa left in the jar.  Pour a little of the chicken broth into your jar and shake it up.
It will come out as clean as a whistle.  Add the rest of your chicken broth to the pot.

Add in your spices.  If you like it spicy, add in a little more chili powder. The 1/2 teaspoon gives it enough heat for me, but Andy likes spicy foods and has to add hot sauce to his later.

Bring your soup to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 30 minutes.  Top your soup with the toppings of your choice.  I like cheese, chopped cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.  The tortilla part of the soup comes from the chips.  Each person can crush their own chips onto the top of their soup.  We use the Tostitos Baked Scoops and I like to dip mine into my soup.  Do whatever floats your boat.
 Reviews from the Peanut Gallery
Me: 5 out of 5 stars.  I seriously love this soup.  It's light and refreshing enough for summer, but filling enough for any other time of the year.  It's so good that you wouldn't even know it was healthy.

Andy: 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. He wants me to make it spicier, but it isn't going to happen.  This time around, I bought him chipotle lime tortilla strips and it added some more spice.

Emma: She doesn't eat the soup,  but she'll eat the components.  I usually set aside some chicken, beans, and corn for her before I add them to the spiced soup.  Tonight, she really wanted to try some of the lime. She thought that was pretty cool.


0 sweet somethings said: