Saturday, October 1, 2011

Up to the Mountains

Both Andy and I took a much needed day off on Friday and headed up to enjoy the beautiful mountain air.  We dropped the girls off at my parents' house and then headed up to the Smokies.

I had forgotten how nice it is to just sit in the car in complete silence.  I love talking to my husband, but I think we both realized the importance of just being still.  Once we entered the park, we stopped periodically to walk down to the river.  At one point I just laid on a big rock, listening to the sounds of the river.  It was so wonderful.  Our main goal was to go to Newfound Gap and then head up to Clingman's Dome.  I had never been to either and I was in awe of how beautiful this part of the country truly is.

Chimney Tops



Pardon the dust, but look at that temperature!

The view from Newfound Gap


Walk to Maine? No thanks.

The base of Clingman's Dome



See those clouds?  They were seriously about 20 feet above us.

The observation tower--on our way up we passed a girl that had just gotten engaged.  How exciting!

The view from the top!  When we got up there, there was this sweet little girl that shouted, "We're at the sky!" It was so adorable!

0 sweet somethings said: