Wednesday, June 20, 2012

No Sleeping and Surfing

It's a sad day at our house. We are officially saying goodbye to routine naps for Emma. She'll still nap maybe once a week or so, but it was becoming such a battle to get her to sleep, which led to major frustration for the both of us.

This week I decided to try something new. She must lay in bed for about 20 minutes. If she falls asleep, GREAT! If not, I softly knock on her door to give her the ok to get up and play with her "quiet box." I put together a box with random quiet objects that she doesn't get to play with all the time--stuff that Sophia can't play with.  She knows that she can't be loud, come out of her room, or play with anything else not in the box. So far it's working out great, but I'm waiting for the inevitable testing of limits.

My biggest worry about giving up naps was that she was going to be super cranky and tired, but she's happier now that she's not being forced to nap. We'll see how it goes once the "new" wears off.

Both girls had Little Gym today and it was my day to be with Emma at dance. I miss being with her in the parent and child classes, but it's fun to see how independent she's becoming. She's usually so timid and I love seeing her blossom and be adventurous.

During the gymnastics portion of her dance class, the girls had a chance to "surf" on the wheel. It looked like so much fun and Emma couldn't wait to do it over and over again!

0 sweet somethings said: