Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Taste the Rainbow

Emma is back to school after a week off due to VBS. Her first day back was "Rainbow Day" which gave me the perfect opportunity to make this amazing rainbow bread that I've been dying to make.  Emma loves rainbows and I love making her special rainbow treats, like rainbow waffles.

I found this fabulous tutorial online that walked me through the steps. Be sure to check it out if you want a more detailed tutorial. I cheated and used the ready made dough found in the freezer section of the grocery store instead of making my own. Whatever dough you use, the process is the same.

 Divide the dough into six equal sections. I didn't worry too much about how precise the sections were. I just eyeballed it. Add color to each ball of dough and knead in the color. I used Wilton's gel food coloring. Let each ball of dough rise to double the size.

 Spread out the purple layer, making it about the size of your bread pan. Repeat with all six colors, working up to the top red layer. Brush water on top of each layer to help the layers adhere to one another.
 Place in a greased loaf pan and let rise until it has doubled in size. It was pretty humid when we made this and ours took a few hours to rise.

 Bake the loaf according to your recipe's directions. Ours cooked for about 25 minutes on 350. The bread is done when it makes a hollow sound when you tap the top of the loaf.

 If you want a soft crust on your bread, brush the top with butter. If you like a crustier bread, skip this step.
When the bread is cool, slice it up and watch the amazement in your kiddos' eyes when they see the beautiful colors!

 Emma's rainbow lunch was a peanut butter and jelly on rainbow bread, strawberries with rainbow sprinkles, and rainbow Goldfish.

The end result is one VERY happy rainbow lover!

3 sweet somethings said:

HollowayHelpers said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome idea! You are such a clever mom & so sweet to your girls! :)

Jessica said... Best Blogger Tips

What a cute idea! And the bread turned out great! Love it! I will definitely have to make this with the girls this Summer!

Auntie Eva said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW, that was great : ) loved the way it turned out!
I could emagine how excited Emma was when u sliced it. <3