Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Week in the Life - Thursday

Whew, what a day! Both girls were tired from yesterday's late night and slept in. Once they got up, they had a quick breakfast while I made Emma's lunch for school. Emma asked for watermelon in her lunch today, and while I was cutting it up, Sophia just had to have some. It's her favorite thing in the world to eat. If I get smiles like this for something as simple as watermelon, she can have it whenever she wants!

Once both girls were dressed, we headed off to school. I was so worried about today because it was raining and I wasn't sure how I would manage getting both girls out of their car seats, through the large parking lot, and into the building as dry as possible. Luckily it wasn't raining too hard so we did pretty well.

Emma was happy to be back in her normal classroom today and she was sure that they must have painted the walls her favorite color (green). Alas, they had not but she was cool with it. After Sophia and I said goodbye, we headed to Kroger to get gas and to do some shopping. I was meeting some friends at 10:20, so we were mostly killing time so we didn't have to go back home. I realized that I hadn't eaten breakfast, so I stopped by Chick-fil-A for a chicken biscuit and sweet tea. We parked the car and watched the rain and listened to music while I ate and Sophia had a snack.
Pay no attention to the horrible state of my nails. Please and thank you.
I met my friends at a warehouse that gets tons of supplies from the ORNL lab. There are bookshelves, computers, desk chairs, etc., that are auctioned off for super cheap. I really need new bookshelves in my classroom and was so excited that they had some. I bid on them and I'll know if I "won" on Saturday. It was like yard sale shopping and ebay shopping all rolled into one! Kids aren't allowed in the warehouse itself, so my friend Stephanie watched Sophia while I browsed the goods. I was sure I would hear screaming, but she did great! It's impossible to be unhappy when Stephanie's around! Sophia had had a long morning of being in the car but she took it like a champ!
A bargain shopper's dream!

After we placed our bids, Sophia and I  headed home for lunch and a little playtime before it was time to pick up Emma. Sophia and I were listening to Pandora and Beyonce happened to come on. Her little ears perked up and she started dancing to "Put a Ring on It." Wise words, sister! Check out my girl workin' it!

Picking Emma up from school was a lot trickier because it was pouring rain when we got to school. I took my own backpack that would fit Emma's backpack and lunchbox, her raincoat and umbrella, and Sophia and I hunkered down under my umbrella. We managed to stay pretty dry, but it wasn't easy! When we got home we noticed that Emma's puddle jumper had come in the mail. Both girls were pretty excited about the delivery. We can't wait to try it out!
Someone was REALLY excited!
After Sophia napped (Emma did not), I made dinner while Andy kept the girls entertained by making obstacle courses and helping Emma build a pizza on the iPad.

And that was the beginning of the end. Emma did not nap and was so cranky for the rest of the afternoon. Every little thing set her off. This made Sophia grumpy too, and dinner was a nightmare. Emma refused to eat a bite of her chicken and dumplings, which is her favorite meal ever. There were tears all through dinner until we asked her if she wanted to lay down in her room and she said yes. She obviously needed a break. She hung out in her bed until dinner was over and then Andy got the girls ready for bed while I cleaned up. She was in a little bit of a better mood, but fatigue and hunger are a recipe for disaster and it wasn't long before she lost it again. She was in tears going to bed, which breaks my heart. She was crying because she didn't want to go to bed. She said she wasn't tired. Uh, I beg to differ. After prayers and some songs, she felt better, so I hope she gets a good night's rest, because boy, does she need it!

0 sweet somethings said: