Friday, July 8, 2011

Five Months Old

Dear Sophia,

I feel like these posts are coming faster and faster.  Here we are on the fifth one--you're five months old, can you believe it? Sometimes when I look at you I can still see the squishy newborn that you were and the big girl that you will one day become.  As we hit each milestone, I continue to be amazed at how much you change.  Let's see how far you've come.


Weight
Birth: 8 pounds 5 ounces
1 month: 9 pounds 3 ounces
 2 months: 11 pounds
3 months: 11 pounds 8 ounces
4 months: 13 pounds 13 ounces
5 months: 15 pounds 4 ounces

Length
Birth: 19 inches
1 month: 20 1/2 inches
2 months: 22 3/8 inches
3 months: 23 1/2 inches
4 months: 23 1/2 inches
5 months: 25 inches

Sleeping
Sigh.  I'm tired just thinking about it.  You gave in to the infamous four month sleep regression this month.  You were sleeping for 10 consecutive hours at night, taking regular naps, and then BAM! You were back to waking up every 3-4 hours and decided to fight your naps. You can stop this at any time now. Please and thank you.
Eating
You've been having a tough time in this area as well.  You don't seem to want to eat and literally fight me or Daddy when we try to feed you. We pushed you back from 6 ounces per feeding to 5 ounces. You are dying to eat solids and literally stare at us while we eat.  It is so sad and it makes me feel bad, but we need to get your other issues in check before you take that next big step. It's going to be a happy day for you when you start eating like a "big girl."

Milestones
You started rolling both ways this month.  You are loving your new skill and use it to get around the house.  Yes, you are now mobile...you roll all over from one end of the room to the other.  I wouldn't be surprised if you were crawling by this time next month. 

You have also started sitting up on your own this month.  You're still unsteady and we are always close by so that you don't fall.  You still love standing best though. 

Another (unwelcome but necessary) milestone is I think that you are teething.  I don't feel anything yet, but you drool and chew on things like it's your job.  Occasionally you will cry out in pain and put your hands in your mouth.  I'm hoping that this is what is contributing to your eating and sleeping issues and not something more serious or permanent.  Hopefully you will be a faster teether than your sister.  I swear...it took five months for one tooth to fully poke through with that girl! Your favorite toys right now are cold and chewable. You especially love the mesh Fresh Food Feeder, full of ice.


What I Want to Remember
You are such a sweet baby and you (mostly) wake up in the best mood.  You are all smiles when I come get you in the morning or after a nap.  Your big, happy smile just lights up my world.   Even though you are still so small, you have no fears whatsoever. You will practically dive out of my arms to get to something that you just have to have.  You love kids and animals, especially your big sister and Sasha.  When either of them are around you stretch out your arms and kick like crazy, trying to get to them.  One of your favorite games right now is playing "Tag" with Emma.  Mommy or Daddy will hold you like you're flying while you "chase" Emma around the house.  You laugh and squeal, thinking that you're really chasing her and it is adorable.  You already use your charm when it's necessary which equals big trouble for us later.  You will scream, cry, kick, fuss, and nothing I do will make you happy.  Just when I've reached the end of my rope I will look at you, getting ready to pull my hair out, and you will give me a big, toothless grin.  What. a. stinker!

Despite the sleeping troubles, the eating issues, and your desire to be in my arms at all times, you make life much more exciting and wonderful, baby girl.  I love you and love you.  And love you and love you. 

Love, 
Mommy

0 sweet somethings said: