Monday, July 11, 2011

Week in the Life: Monday

A couple of weeks ago, Kelly, from Kelly's Korner, did a Week in the Life series.  I really enjoyed reading about her day with her two girls, and thought that I'd give it a try.  Her girls are very similarly aged to our girls, so it was fun to see that we faced similar challenges.

Our days are far from exciting, but I want to document them so I can look back at how we spent our time during our first summer together.  When school ends next summer, they'll be one and three and our days will be completely unrecognizable from now. When Emma was a baby, I felt like I was always busy and tired.  Now with two kids I often wonder what in the world I did, because now I really feel busy and tired.

Each day I will write about our day, from Monday through Sunday.  I'll most likely add to the post throughout the day because if I wait until the end of the day, my Mommy brain will be fried and I won't remember one thing. They're going to be pretty long detailed, so I hope you won't get too bored! I enjoy reading about what other people do (I'm nosy like that), so I hope you enjoy taking a glimpse into our life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My day started at 5:00 when Sophia woke up to be fed.  She fell asleep pretty quickly after she ate and by the time I left her room around 5:30, Andy was ready to get up and get ready for work.  Sophia decided that she wanted to start sleeping on her tummy when I put her back down, with most of her face smashed into the mattress, even though I tried moving her head many times.  Between wanting to keep an eye on her and the fact that Emma is an early riser, I figured it was pointless to try to go back to sleep. I got up, did a workout video, and jumped in the shower.  Emma woke up while I was getting out of the shower (around 6:15), so I got her up and brought her downstairs.

On most mornings, she takes a while to get going and wants to snuggle, so we snuggled on the couch for a while.  She isn't very cuddly anymore, now that she's Miss Independent, so I really cherish the time I get.  Shortly after Andy left, she wanted to watch a cartoon (right now her favorite is Jake and the Neverland Pirates on Disney Junior) so I let her watch an episode while I got ready for the day.  I have found that it's easiest to do my hair and makeup downstairs in the living room, rather than in my bathroom.  I have to try to fit it in while I have a chance, and this lets me keep an eye on the kids while I do what I need to do.

Once I was done, I started getting Emma's breakfast ready.  We sat down to eat breakfast (Emma: waffles, strawberries, oranges, part of my banana, and milk.  Me: waffle, banana, and coffee) and Emma talked and talked.  She has such a great imagination and her vocabulary grows in leaps and bounds every day.  I've lost track of how many words she knows.  She's moved on to sentences and long stories now.  Sometimes she will say a word or a phrase and Andy and I will wonder where in the world she learned it.  She picks everything up so quickly and always has an ear tuned in on our conversations.  This means that Mommy has to be very careful in the car, if you know what I mean.  ;) One of our favorite things she currently says is when she asks a question, she immediately follows it with an OK? and then confirms it with a head nod, as in "Emma wants goldfish and chocolate milk for breakfast, ok?" nod, nod, nod).  It's pretty funny because she usually only does it with things where she knows the answer will be no.

Just as we were finishing breakfast, Sophia woke up.  I went upstairs and got her dressed and ready for the day while Emma finished her milk in her chair.  I brought Sophia downstairs and put her in her bouncy seat so that she and Emma could "talk."  I usually let them listen to a CD while I clean up the kitchen so they can sing/dance/whatever.  Today's choice was Peek-a-Boo I Love You, which is a CD we got from the Kindermusik program last summer. We Peek-a-Boo to everyone we know, which keeps them entertained while I clean up.

Once the kitchen was clean, we headed into the living room to play.  We have a toy shelf in the living room full of toys and books, so Emma has lots to choose from.  I swap them out periodically to keep her interested.  Sophia rotates playing in her jumper, to the floor to do tummy time (which now only consists of rolling around the room), and sitting in her Bumbo where I give her toys to play with on the tray.  Her favorite right now is a monkey that suctions to the Bumbo tray and spins around.  While they played, I folded a load of laundry and then I was free to join in on playtime.


After we played for a bit, I took the girls upstairs to get Emma ready for the day and I fed Sophia.  Emma loves playing in her room (that's where all the big toys are) so she was happy to have some time to herself for a while.  Once we were done, I packed the kids in the car and we headed out.

When Sophia was first born, I was terrified of taking both kids out alone.  Now it's a matter of survival.  Even if we don't have anywhere in particular to go, I try to get out of the house for a little while, just for a change of scenery. 

Today we had to return a few library books and drop some clothing off at Goodwill (so long, maternity clothes!).  After that, we ran by Walmart because they were having a good deal on Gerber Puffs and I had a coupon as well.  Sophia fell asleep in her carrier while we shopped,  so Emma and I just walked around, enjoying the air conditioning.  Emma has been needing a bike helmet, so we checked those out while we were there. 


We got back home around 11:15, so I put Sophia down on a blanket to stretch out and cool off while Emma gave her babies a bath.  While the girls were playing, I made lunch (Emma: turkey sandwich with cheese and tomato, blueberries, and some of the Puffs we bought today...she asked for them all through the store.  Me: salad, pita, and hummus.  Sophia: frozen teething ring). Sophia started to get hungry at the end of lunch, so as soon as Emma finished eating, I fed Sophia.

While she ate, Emma played with her magnetic paper dolls.  The girls' Mimi and Papa brought them back for her from their trip a few weeks ago.  They're really cool, but since they have a lot of pieces, they aren't a toy that we keep out all the time.  She's always happy to see them and they keep her occupied for a long time. After Sophia finished eating, I started to get them settled down before their nap.  I always close the blinds and play quiet games with them before nap time.  Today we played with Emma's dolls, read LOTS of books, and built towers with Sophia's soft blocks.
Did you notice the wardrobe change?  We had a spit-up situation.



I took Emma up to her room for her nap at 1:30 while Sophia relaxed in her swing.  Emma's nap time and nighttime routine are the same.  We say prayers, I sing the same four songs (in the same order), I tuck her in and leave.  She usually falls asleep quickly, but she must have been tired today, because she fell asleep during the third song.  I came back downstairs, got Sophia, took her up to her room and put her down for her nap at 1:45.  She has a hard time staying asleep and woke up at 2:15.  I got her to go back to sleep, but she woke up every five minutes for the next 20 minutes until I gave up and brought her downstairs to see if the swing could work it's magic.  After 25 more minutes of fussing, I gave up.  Sometimes I have to stop trying to get her to sleep, even though I know she's tired, just to save my own sanity. I get so frustrated with her sometimes, because she's so incredibly stubborn. I have to constantly remind myself that she isn't doing it on purpose.

Andy got home a little bit early today because I had an orthodontist appointment at 4:30.  When I got home, Emma was awake and Sophia was tired and grumpy.  I made dinner while Andy played with the kids. We always plan a quick and easy dinner when one of us has something going on in the afternoon, because it's so hard for one person to cook during "The Witching Hour."  If you have kids, I'm sure you know what that is.  If it gets too late, Emma gets too hungry and starts to break down.  So we need fast on days like today.

After dinner, we took the girls upstairs to play while I organized their closets.  Sophia has been growing like a weed, so I had to pull out Emma's old clothes in bigger sizes and put the smaller stuff away (sniff sniff).  Sophia loves playing in Emma's room.  There's so much to see and everything is bright and makes music...what's not to love?
If you're going to cook in the kitchen, you have to dress the part!

When we came downstairs, we enjoyed some ice cream for dessert and then it was time for baths.  Andy does Sophia's and I do Emma's.  We still bathe Sophia in the little tub that fits into the sink and Emma has hers in the regular tub, of course.  We haven't tried doing the dual bath yet.  We'll wait until Sophia can hold her own against her sister.  Right after baths, we got the girls into their pajamas and we let Emma watch one last episode of Jake. Since Sophia was so tired from not taking a nap this afternoon, Andy put her down earlier, at 8:00.  I put Emma down at 8:30.  She's been really clingy lately, and insists that I be the one to put her to bed, and Andy has really been missing it.  I know it's just a phase, and I always tell him that I need to enjoy it while it lasts.  She and I will battle when she's a teenager, but she'll always be a Daddy's girl.

After the girls were in bed, Andy an I did our normal routine of picking up the house and getting things ready for the next day.  Unfortunately, Sophia is having another bad night and is having a hard time falling asleep.  Andy has been up there twice to get her back to sleep. I'm getting ready to go to bed so that I can be ready for the 1:00 shift.

I know this got incredibly long, and I apologize.  I hope you weren't scared away and will come back to see what our day looks like tomorrow!

0 sweet somethings said: