Monday, July 25, 2011

Mmm, Mmm Monday- Baked Tilapia

I've had some sweet friends (hello, Amber and Anna Marie!) remind me that I'm supposed to be posting recipes, so I decided to start doing what I call Mmm, Mmm Mondays.  I get bored eating the same thing all the time, so I like to try new recipes and I am constantly trying to introduce my VERY picky family to foods that they wouldn't normally eat.  If you're in the same situation, make sure you read the end of each post where I'll post our individual reviews. 

Tonight for dinner, I made Baked Lime Tilapia.  I love fish, but Andy and Emma aren't big fish eaters.  Andy normally likes to drown his fish in a spicy rub or in some sort of sauce.  I wanted to try something lighter, with lots of flavor to hide the "fishy" taste.  I like tilapia because it doesn't have a very strong flavor, which is perfect for my fair-weather fish fans.

What you'll need: 1-1 1/2 pounds tilapia fillets, 2 limes, bread crumbs, salt and pepper
Zest both limes and set the zest aside.  Squeeze the juice from the limes onto both sides of the fish. Rub the zest onto both sides and season with salt and pepper.

Place the fillets on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray (I used olive oil from my Misto). Top each fillet with bread crumbs.  The amount is entirely up to you; I just used a light coating.  Here is where you can choose to be "bad" and top each fillet with a pat of butter, or be "good" and spray with olive oil.  I sprayed mine...just enough to wet the bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (or 15 if you have huge fillets like mine) or until the fish flakes with a fork.  We paired our fish up with sauteed vegetables and rice. 


Reviews from the Peanut Gallery:

Me: 4 out of 5 stars. I liked the flavor of the lime.  I didn't add enough salt, so don't be like me. I liked the texture of the breadcrumbs, but I think butter would have added a nice flavor...and a few inches on my hips.

Andy: 4 out of 5 stars. He liked the lime and thought it had a nice, refreshing taste.

Emma:  She cleaned her plate (minus a few pieces of zucchini), so I guess that means she liked it!

If you try it, leave me a comment to let me know what you thought!

0 sweet somethings said: