Friday, July 15, 2011

Week in the Life: Friday

I can't believe it's Friday already. I have really enjoyed doing this series.  It hasn't been as much work as I originally thought it was going to be.  I can talk the ear off corn, so it's a pretty easy switch for me to transfer it into written words! ;)

This morning I woke up around 6:00, even though I just wanted to stay in bed.  Everyone was still asleep, but my mind was going a mile a minute and I couldn't stop worrying, thinking about the test results, thinking what else I needed to clean, and who knows what I just decided to get up and get some stuff done before the kids woke up.  I put all of the toys that we had cleaned away, did some laundry, and made an ever important pot of coffee before Emma woke up at 6:30.  I was a little nervous about changing her nighttime diaper because I was afraid that I was going to see a huge boil or more spots.  Luckily, I saw neither.  I covered her in Neosporin and brought her downstairs.  She is such a great helper and she helped me fold one of the millions of loads of laundry I needed to fold.

Andy left for work and Emma and I finished folding the laundry, put everything away and then I made breakfast.  Emma wanted scrambled eggs, yogurt, and grapes.  Her medication requires her to drink a lot of water, so she was a little surprised to get that instead of milk, but she didn't question it.  I had a bowl of cereal and Emma had to try mine, of course.  She took a long time eating, so I cleaned up the kitchen, started another load of laundry, and drank another cup of coffee.  I got Emma cleaned up and settled with some toys because Sophia was starting to wake up.  The "Magic Pajamas" worked pretty well last night.  She woke up once around 4:20 to eat and fell right back to sleep, then woke up for the day at 8:30.  The magic continues! ;) I got her ready for the day and brought her downstairs and fed her.  I gave Emma her medicine and she only put up a little fight.  The girls and I played for a little bit and then Emma asked to watch Bambi. We watched the movie while we played and talked on the phone to my mom before Sophia got tired and ready for a nap. Emma wanted to play in her room, so I let her do that while I put Sophia down for a nap.  She ended up not napping at all after I "fought" with her for 30 minutes.  I brought Emma back downstairs and put Sophia in her swing, hoping she would fall asleep.  She did, and while she napped, Emma and I made blueberry zucchini bread.

While it was baking, Emma colored and I cleaned up.  Sophia woke up shortly after and so I brought her into the kitchen with us and put her into her bouncy chair so she could watch Emma color while I made lunch. Today we had tuna sandwiches, cauliflower with cheese, and a piece of the zucchini bread.  The way Emma eats her sandwiches always makes me laugh.  She ate her tuna sandwich in this order: tomatoes, lettuce, tuna, bread.  She likes to deconstruct her sandwiches.  We both really liked the zucchini bread, so that one is definitely a keeper.

While Emma finished and I cleaned (does the cleaning ever stop???).  I got a few phone calls from my sister and my mother-in-law, checking on Emma.  After lunch, Emma wanted to make birthday presents for everyone, so she created sculptures of blocks, stacking cups, and boxes to give to people on their birthdays.  Sophia got hungry again, so I fed her and then she was ready to play some more.  We played and listened to music and before I knew it, it was 1:30 and time for naps.  Emma went down for her nap at 1:45 and Sophia was ready for her nap around 2:00.  She put up another fight, but finally gave in around 2:45.  While the kids napped, I made a fiesta rice salad that we would be having with dinner and (you guessed it!) did some more cleaning.  I swept and mopped the kitchen, dusted the downstairs and started my menu planning for next week.

The kids were still sleeping when Andy got home, but as soon as we sat down to talk, Sophia woke up.  Kids always know when parents sit down. She has started sleeping on her tummy (which I hate) with her hands tucked under her face. When she wakes up, she has dents from where her fingers were and she always looks a little rough.  I took a funny picture of her when she first woke up.

Emma must have been tired because she slept until 5:00.  Actually, I woke her up at 5:00, so who knows how long she would have slept.  Drowsiness is one of the side effects of her medicine, but I didn't want her to sleep too long and not be tired for bed tonight.  Dinner was ready right when she came downstairs, but Sophia was ready for her cereal and Emma was cranky, so we postponed dinner for a little bit while Andy fed Sophia and I comforted Emma.  Finally we were ready for dinner.  Dinner tonight was tacos and fiesta rice.  After dinner, Emma had to have her medicine, and she did not want to take it.  She told Andy "Emma take medicine no, no, no!" Which is her way of saying that she didn't want to take it. I told her that if she took it, I'd give her a little treat.  Yes, I bribe my kids.  It's pretty effective.
A shot of Reddi-Whip helps the medicine go down.
After dinner, we ran around, marched, sang songs, and read books.  I just love when the four of us play and the kids come up with their own games.  We played until bath time and then we got the kids ready for bed.

Sophia went right to sleep at 8:00 and Andy and I read books with Emma before she went to bed. We didn't have much to clean up tonight, so Andy and I are watching TV before we go to bed.  I'm looking forward to hearing good news from the doctor tomorrow, so be sure to keep up in your prayers!

0 sweet somethings said: